Sunday, December 1, 2013

Ten Pledges of Transformation


 
I have often felt the need to acknowledge the harm done by my ancestors, my country and my generation. In this space I now confess the following 10 wrong-doings, express my regret and pledge to right these wrongs. These are representative of many, many other such acts.

I confess that:

1.    my European ancestors committed genocide of the native peoples of America. I (both Scottish and Cherokee) express my deep sorrow and regret. I pledge to support the sovereignty of and make retribution to Native Americans and indigenous peoples around the world. 

2.    my ancestors participated in the enslavement of Africans brought to America. I (whose Kentucky ancestors had slaves) express my deep sorrow and regret. I pledge to support the equality and empowerment of African Americans and to stop all slavery in any form around the world. 
 
3.    my country did not give the right to vote to women during its first 144 years. I express my deep sorrow and regret. I pledge to support the full equality and leadership of women in America and around the world.

4.    my country participated in killing hundreds of thousands of people in Vietnam. I express my deep sorrow and regret. I pledge to support peaceful co-existence and non-violence around the world.

5.    my country invaded Iraq without UN permission or just cause killing hundreds of thousands of people and wasting billions of dollars. I express my deep sorrow and regret. I pledge to support peaceful co-existence and non-violence around the world.

6.    my country sends drones into Afghanistan, Pakistan and elsewhere killing thousands of people. I express my deep sorrow and regret. I pledge to support peaceful co-existence and non-violence around the world.

7.    my country does not mandate a living wage for its citizens. I express my deep sorrow and regret. I pledge to promote sustainable livelihoods for all people at home and around the world.

8.    my generation has not heeded the call to stop global warming which has damaged the Earth’s ecosystems and will cause harm to billions of people and other living beings. I express my deep sorrow and regret. I pledge to stop the fossil fuel industry and promote climate chaos mitigation and adaptation at home and around the world.

9.    my country allows toxic investments to be sold at home and around the world. I express my deep sorrow and regret. I pledge to promote the creation of a new global economy devoted to human dignity and environmental sustainability.

10.  my country encourages huge income inequality with the majority of our citizens living in poverty. I express my deep sorrow and regret. I pledge to do everything in my power to create a world of equality, justice, happiness and wellbeing for all people and all living beings on planet Earth.

May it be so. So be it.

1 comment:

  1. These are powerful statements. They hold both the pain and the promise.

    ReplyDelete

Enter your comments . . .